Friday 5 November 2010

Jamie Oliver's Smoked Haddock and Corn Chowder

jamie-oliver-smoked-haddock-and-corn-chowder

I've just made this chowder for dinner and my son loves it - so I'd recommend it for kids. It's from Jamie Oliver's book, Jamie's 30 Minutes Meals.

It was very easy, quick and simple and I managed to stick it all on whilst seeing to a baby. Just watch out for bones when serving it to little children. I even left out the prawns and it was still super tasty. I will be definitely making it again, but I think the potatoes could do with a little extra time. Here's Jamie's recipe:

Jamie Oliver's Smoked Haddock and Corn Chowder


Serves 4
Ingredients
4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon
A small bunch of spring onions
250g (9oz) red-skinned potatoes
4 corn on the cob
1 x 300g (11oz) fillet of smoked haddock, skin off and pin-boned
3 fresh bay leaves
3 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 litre (1.75 pints) organic chicken stock
150ml (0.25 pints) single cream
200g (7oz) peeled cooked prawns
1 x 150g (5oz) pack of large matzo crackers


HOW TO MAKE:
    1. Finely slice the bacon and put it into the saucepan with a good lug of olive oil. Stir until golden.

    2. Trim and finely slice the spring onions, add to the pan and stir.

    3. Wash the potatoes and chop into 2cm chunks. Add to the pan and mix well. Keep an eye on the pan, stirring often.

    4.  Meanwhile, put a clean tea towel over a board and ruffle up the edges to catch the corn. Hold a corn cob upright on the board and run a knife gently down to the base of the kernels, all the way round. Repeat with the rest of the cobs, discarding the cores. Tip the kernels directly from the tea towel into the pan.

    5. Add the smoked haddock to the pan with 3 bay leaves and the leaves from 3 sprigs of thyme. Cover with the chicken stock, then put the lid on and cook for 12-15 minutes.

    6. Add 150ml of single cream and the peeled prawns to the chowder and stir well. Put the lid back on and turn the heat down to low.

    7. Put the matzo crackers in a pile on the table.

    8. Take the saucepan off the heat. You can leave it coarse and chunky, or use a potato masher to mash it up a little bit and make it silky, or purée the lot – it’s up to you. I like to roughly mash one side of it, then mix it through.

5 comments:

  1. I made this 30min meal too, amazing! but I made way too much, will it keep? I'm always a little nervous with fish, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it should be fine for a couple of days. And make sure you heat it up well before serving. Some people say you could keep it for four days in the fridge, but I would prefer to be safe and stay with two days. Here's a good link to check out for food safety tips http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/homehygiene/Pages/how-to-store-food-safely.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Result: potatoes not cooked and fish ruined.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this as a starter for a lunch party it was yum took me a bit longer than 30 mins but was worth it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this for mine and my 2½ yr old dinner. I added some pasta spirals for her. She loved it! I left out the prawns though. So easy to make. I may add some chopped spinach next time as some added goodness.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...